INCREASE SALES CONVERSION RATES THROUGH BETTER PROBING AND REBUTTALS
HyperQuality Success at a Glance
With over 3 million customers, Benchmark Brands is an integrated direct-to-consumer retailer and is dedicated to serving
the lifestyle and healthcare needs of it's customers. Interested in realizing a higher sales potential, Benchmark Brands asked
HyperQuality to assess their contact center operations to identify the following:
- Performance of the sales force
- Actionable recommendations to improve the sales conversion rate and overall revenue
The sales effectiveness project was aimed at conducting a proof of concept to assess end-to-end contact center operations
and identify opportunity areas for the following goals:
- Enhance top line revenue through increased sales effectiveness
- Identify other opportunities to improve overall customer experience
The project was guided by the following set of broadly stated research objectives:
- Gain complete understanding of current sales conversion rate / performance
- Segregate all factors into two categories - agent related and process related
- Prioritize top drivers related to agent and process behavior
- List the actionable recommendations based on opportunities identified to improve conversion rate
As a part of the sales study, HyperQuality focused on all interactions where customers wanted to either place an order or
had an inquiry with potential sales intent.
Many factors were identified which affected the conversion rate. These factors were further tagged and divided into the
following three categories:
- Only agent related call reasons
- Both agent and process related reasons
- Only process related reasons
There was a higher level of control over categories "A" and "B" and could be driven at a contact center level.
It was observed that a 'lack of agent effort' had been found as the most significant reason for non conversion in the project
call set. The further drill down study (with the help of data through the call listening exercise) helped HyperQuality to deduce
that agent effort was driven by five key agent behavior attributes - 'Probing', 'Rebuttals', 'Pace of Call', 'Agent Tone'
and 'Professionalism and Courtesy'.
'Probing' and 'Rebuttals being offered' were found as the most impactful attributes that would improve the conversion
rate. It was also noted that the conversion rate for new customers was much lower than that of existing customers. New
customers didn't buy because of 'Shipping Charges' or 'Product Unavailability'. It was identified that agents did not probe
or offer any rebuttals on the new customer calls.
By studying a statistically calculated sample of sales calls, HyperQuality helped the client to identify opportunities pertaining
to procedural inefficiencies and agent behavior. Through this exercise, it was found that on a significant volume of calls:
- Agents were not offering any rebuttals leading to a potentially significant financial loss
- There was opportunity for agents to ask follow up questions on a customer's first objection and to offer multiple
rebuttals to further improve the conversion rate
- A lack of awareness was observed on the product benefits as agents were unable to effectively explain the features
HyperQuality recommended Benchmark Brands should enhance awareness and knowledge about products through coaching
to empower agents to consider all enquiry calls as potential sales opportunities. To position the rebuttals better, HyperQuality
recommended agents should be coached to probe more and gain a thorough understanding of customer concerns. Rebuttals
must be offered on all possible opportunities and could be driven through best practice sharing from agents who have
achieved high performance. This could further enable agents to effectively ask follow up questions on customer objections
after the first rebuttal and be primarily focused on external customers.
In just 4 weeks the recommendations were prepared on the identified gaps. The consolidated list of recommendations was
fed to cost benefit analysis to generate opportunities for Benchmark Brands to improve overall sales conversion. These highbar
opportunities cumulatively translated into a potential annual revenue improvement of $1 MM and an overall increase
of 4.25% in the sales conversion rate.